Skip to main content

Of Sheryl Thies and how much I love her work / Sheryl Thies ed il mio amore per il suo lavoro

Do you know designer Sheryl Thies? Last year I purchased both her books about Tunisian crochetGet Hooked on Tunisian Crochet and Tunisian Crochet Encore, and I completely fell in love with her neat, clever designs.
Get Hooked on Tunisian Crochet is, in my opinion, the ideal book for those who just learnt Tunisian crochet and want to know the technique better in a stimulating way. It contains pretty easy patterns (you can preview 'em here), which are lovely for more expert users who want to relax a bit, too.
Tunisian Crochet Encore, Sheryl's second book about Tunisian crochet, contains patterns (preview here) that are a bit more complex, e.g. items that are made working in the round or with short rows. It's very interesting for crocheters who want to try their hand at something new. I think this is the perfect follow-up to the first book.
What I love about Sheryl's designs is that she doesn't try to make her items look like knitted ones: they're Tunisian crochet accessories, and it shows! Another thing I love about the clothing is that they're all practical itemssomething you can really wear in everyday life. Plus, she often uses ingenious constructions, so making these accessories is basically lots of fun.
 
Conoscete la designer Sheryl Thies? L'anno scorso ho acquistato entrambi i suoi libri sull'uncinetto tunisinoGet Hooked on Tunisian Crochet e Tunisian Crochet Encore, e mi sono innamorata dei suoi modelli puliti e intriganti.
Get Hooked on Tunisian Crochet è, a mio avviso, il libro ideale per chi ha appena imparato l'uncinetto tunisino e vuole conoscere meglio la tecnica in modo stimolante. Contiene modelli piuttosto semplici (anteprima qui), divertenti anche per chi ha più esperienza e si vuole rilassare un po'.
Tunisian Crochet Encore, il secondo libro di Sheryl sull'uncinetto tunisino, contiene modelli (anteprima qui) un po' più complessi, come capi lavorati in tondo o che utilizzano righe accorciate. E' un testo interessante per chi vuole cimentarsi in qualcosa di nuovo. Penso sia davvero il seguito perfetto al primo libro.
Quello che amo dei modelli di Sheryl è che la designer non cerca di farli sembrare realizzati a maglia: sono accessori ad uncinetto tunisino, e si vede! Un'altra cosa che apprezzo dei suoi capi di abbigliamento è che sono pratici, capi che si possono davvero indossare nella vita di tutti i giorni. In più, la designer spesso utilizza costruzioni ingegnose, quindi realizzare questi accessori fondamentalmente è molto divertente.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bye, Blogger

I'll write on my  WordPress blog only, from now on, so if you want to follow me you'll find me there. I won't delete this blog, as I'm attached to it and it reminds me of the road I travelled so far, but at least for now I won't update it anymore.

Finished! / Finito!

Hello ladies! How was your weekend? Hope it all goes well! I'm here to show my finally finished baby cardigan, remember ? I've already told you about the wool I used in my latest post, so I won't bore you any longer - just a quick note: if you happen to find it and you've got some knitting baby project in mind definitely try it out! It's thin but grows quickly, it's incredibly soft and it took me less than 100 g on 3.5 mm needles to finish this cardigan, which should fit a 6 months old. Ciao a tutte! Com'è andato il fine settimana? Spero tutto bene! Sono qui per mostrarvi il golfino di cui vi avevo parlato, vi ricordate ? Vi ho già parlato nello scorso post della lana che ho usato, quindi non vi annoierò oltre - solo un appunto veloce: se vi capita di trovarla e avete in mente di sferruzzare qualcosa per un bimbo provatela! E' sottile ma cresce in fretta, è incredibilmente morbida, e mi sono bastati meno di 100 g (su ferri da 3.5 mm) per que

And here's the Dragon! / Ecco il Drago!

Remember the Dragon Tail scarf/shawl I began some time ago? Well, last week I managed to finish it, and I'm oh so proud of it. Not only it's my first Tunisian crochet project, but it also turned out great, big and cosy and oh so soft (this thanks to the lovely yarn Géraldine sent me, Phil Bambou Laine by Phildar). It is 2 m long from tip to tip and 45 cm wide by the last scale, and the last row counts 110 stitches, which are quite a lot... : ) As I already wrote I strongly recommend this if you want to try Tunisian crochet, it's easy, good fun and you get a nice original item to wear. You might find this tutorial by Julia Marquardt helpful, but if you want to get one that's exactly like mine you have to change the pattern a little bit: I followed the instructions by a great designer, MariaGrazia Berno , who modified it a bit in order to obtain a scarf/shawl that curls up more. Her pattern says to increase of two stitches at the end of every row, just before the se